Friday, December 09, 2005

Fear of Diagnosis


Before I entered the doctor's office I knew already I had Prostate Cancer . Don't ask me why, but I knew. I had not symptoms at all but a yearly routine echography had detected something wrong.
While the doctor was putting a glove on his right hand and wiggling his fingers I could hear him saying: everything is going to be Ok, don't worry, you're too young to have Prostate Cancer (47 at that time).
When the finger reached his target and he suddenly stopped talking I realized how true my premonition was going to be.
He ordered a PSA test. It came back as 18.4 ng/ml. Then the biopsy: positive for Prostate Cancer. The ground seemed then to tumble down under my feet.
Why me? I kept on asking that for several days. Prostate Cancer? Impossible!, I'm just 47 and my diet has been healthy (my wife keen on "mediterranean diet) and no story of familiar PCa at young ages.
I began reading about PCa and the answer to my question came in easily: hundreds of thousands of men are diagnosed every year of PCa cancer around the world . Of these, about 15% are under the age of 50. It was me one of them, but could be YOU next time if you're reading this.
PSA test and DRE (Digital Rectal Examination) are a must if you're over 40 years of age if you want to have your potential PCa diagnosis be caught early and thus curable or at least manageable for many years.
I don't think mine is curable, but almost three years after my diagnosis I have enough strenght and I'm feeling well enough as to wish to share my "life with Prostate Cancer" with all of you.
The fear of diagnosis must be overcome by the wish to live.
-------
El miedo al diagnóstico
Antes de entrar a la consulta del doctor, yo ya sabía que tenía cáncer de próstata. No pregunteis por qué, pero lo sabía. No tenía ningún síntoma, pero una ecografía anual de rutina había detectado que algo iba mal.
Mientras el doctor se ponía el guante en la mano derecha y movía sus dedos le odía decirme: no te preocupes, todo irá bien, eres demasiado joven para tener cáncer de próstata (47 años en esa época).
Cuando su dedo alcanzó el objetivo y él dejo de hablar de repente, me di cuenta de lo cierta que iba a ser mi premonición.
Me pidió un análisis de PSA. El resultado fue de 18,4. A continuación, la biopsia: positiva para cáncer de próstata. En ese momento, me pareció que el suelo me tragaba.
¿Por qué yo? Seguí haciéndome la misma pregunta durante varios días. ¿Cáncer de Próstata? ¡Imposible! Sólo tengo 47 años, mi dieta ha sido siempre saludable (mi mujer adora la "dieta mediterránea") y no tenía historia de cáncer de próstata en la familia a edades tempranas.
Comencé a leer sobre el cáncer de próstata, y la respuesta a mi pregunta fue fácil de encontrar: se diagnostica a cientos de miles de hombres de cáncer de próstata cada año en todo el mundo . De entre estos, aproximadamente un 15% tienen menos de 50 años. Yo había sido uno de ellos, pero si estás leyendo esto TÚ podrías ser el siguiente.
El análisis de PSA y el Tacto Rectal son una obligación si tienes más de cuarenta años y deseas que un diagnóstico potencial de cáncer de próstata sea cogido a tiempo y, por tanto, pueda ser curado, o al menos tratado durante muchos años.
No creo que el mío pueda curarse, pero después de casi tres años desde mi diagnóstico, estoy lo bastante fuerte y me siento lo suficientemente bien como para compartir mi "vida con cáncer de próstata" con todos vosotros.
El miedo al diagnóstico debe ser vencido por el deseo de vivir.

3 Comments:

Blogger RayK said...

Fearing something is most often greater than what could be wrong. For instance the fear of terrorists is far greater than suffering or dying through terrorist actions. However quite rightly we take precautions, that often amounts to no more than 10 minutes a day, (extra traffic delays, airport delays etc at least) , which is circa 60 hours per year. Now let’s say by the time you travel there and back from the doctors and have a DRE and PSA test it takes 2 hours per year. So for a threat that has little chance of occurring you take precautions that takes 60 hours per year, yet for the very real threat of PCa you will not spend a mere 2 hours per year? Is your life not worth a mere 20 seconds a day! Do you wonder why that is? You really do not know, well you amaze me as it’s obvious - terrorist action is what could happen to me, Prostate cancer happens to the other guy – are you so sure about that?

Spending 20 seconds a day could save you and your family and friends a lot of suffering and a maybe even your life – a price worth paying?

12:58 PM  
Anonymous larry dev said...

Well Manuel I knew that I was suffering from PC prior to diagnosis. The real shock was not that I had it but the extent of it and such a dismal prognosis. I felt really well apart from the frequent need to urinate at night and was expecting to hear that it was in place but in its early stages. To be told that it was also in place for 5 years and possibly 10 years, makes one think why is it only being found now, why did I not get myself checked sooner etc. Anyway I have got over the shock, there is no point in punishing oneself over something that cannot be changed. I am always preaching to other males about taking care of themselves in this area but it appears to be falling on deaf ears in most situations. All is not lost 2 friends have now been checked out and waiting results at this time, they did have problems convincing their doctors at first to have a PSa test, glad to say they have overcome it thankfully.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Si desea obtener mas informacion acerca de los diferentes tratamientos para el cancer de prostata siga este link:http://www.roboticoncology-es.com/

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home